Hi all! Welcome to my world of Craftymama Creations!
This has been a fun week seeing all the beautiful colors everyone used for the Stars and Stripes Square! Thank you all very much for the opportunity to be a part of such a fun new experience. I’ve enjoyed talking with some of the other designers as well as the amazing ladies who put this all together for us.
Besides my pizza blanket design I am most known for my use of sunflowers in my work. Sunflowers are my favorite flower as even at the darkest hours they move towards the warmth of the sun. I try to do the same, looking for positives in the negatives. I hope you all enjoy making this square as much as I did in designing it.
Listed below the pattern are alternative yarns and hook sizes needed to obtain gauge. I have found that DK yarn is very similar to the Caron Simply Soft in thickness needed to obtain gauge so if you are using DK yarn, please follow the hook size used for the CSS brand. Final measurement of this square is 12″ X 12″, 39 sts by 39 sts.
For immediate help on this design please message me through my FB business page or send me an email. Let’s have some fun!
Download the printable PDF pattern with full color photo tutorial here here
Available in the following languages on Ravelry
English-US Dutch French Spanish Korean German Polish Hebrew Swedish Danish Finnish Swedish
If you’re not already a part of this fantastic group, check out CAL- Crochet A Long for more fantastic CAL’s!
***For full color photo tutorial please download the PDF pattern***
39sts X 39 sts, ch 2 corners
- Red Heart Super Saver Yarns
- C1- coffee
- C2- gold
- C3- carrot
- C4- medium thyme
- C5- tea leaf
- Size “H” (5.00 MM) hook
- Tapestry needle
- Optional: stitch markers
- This pattern is written for the beginner in US terms
- This pattern includes a full picture tutorial to help you along the way
- This pattern is written in US terminology for the right handed crocheter
- This pattern is part of my original sunflower design collection and is part of the “Friends Around the World 1st Anniversary CAL
- Numbers in parenthesis at end of round states how many stitches.
- Chains at beginning of rows count towards stitch count
- Gauge: 8 DC sts= 2”; 4 rows= 2”
- Chart included for alternate yarn choices and hook sizes needed to obtain gauge
- This pattern and all photos contained within are copyright CMC2016 and may not be shared or sold without my consent.
- Feel free to contact me via email firstname.lastname@example.org or via Facebook www.facebook.com/craftymamacreations2014 (faster response time via fb) with any questions or comments.
- Follow me at www.craftymamacreations.wordpress.com for new pattern releases and/or updates, contests, giveaways, spotlights on other designers and much, much more!
SC- single crochet
HDC– half double crochet
DC- double crochet
TR– treble crochet
SL ST- slip stitch
WBL– (also known as BLO)- work in the back loops of the stitch only, not both loops you’d use with a normal stitch
|RHSS||H (5.00 MM)|
|Caron One Pound||G (4.50 MM)|
|Caron Simply Soft||I (5.50 MM)|
|Bernat Super Value||H (5.00 MM)|
- Using C1, ch 2
- In first ch, SC 8 sts, begin working in a spiral fashion (8)
- Beginning in first SC, 2SC in each st around, sl st to next st, tie off (16)
- Turn circle over so you are working from the wrong side, this gives the seeded look
- Attach C2, in the back loop of any SC st, ch 6,
- Beginning 2nd ch from hook, SC 5 sts back to the circle, sl st next 2 sts of the circle in the back loops only
- Ch 6, beginning 2nd ch from hook, SC 5 sts, sl st next 2 sts in back loops only
- Repeat rd 7: six (6) more times, making your last sl st into same st as you began, ch 1 (8 rays made)
- Working up the ray, SC, HDC 3 sts, SC, 3SC in tip, working down the ray in the back loops only, SC, HDC 3 sts, SC, skip over to first st of next ray
- Repeat rd 9: seven (7) more times, sl st to first sc to jn rd, tie off (8 petals created)
- WBL- using a standing SC attach C3 into the 2nd SC st of the petal tip, SC 3 sts down the petal, skip over to the 3rd HDC st of next petal
- WBL- SC 3 sts, SC+ch1+SC in next st (petal tip), SC 3 sts, skip over to 3rd HDC st of next petal
- Repeat rd 12: 6 more times, SC 3 sts, SC+ch 1 in beginning st, sl st to first SC to jn rd, tie off (8 petals highlighted)
- Attach C4 around the ch1 st at petal tip, ch 3, Dc in same st
- WBL- Dc 3 sts, TR 2 sts, DC, HDC, ch 3, skip next 3 sts, HDC, DC, TR 2 sts, DC 3 sts
- In ch 1 sp- 2DC+ch 1+2DC, WBL- Dc 3 sts, TR 2 sts, Dc, HDC, ch 3, skip 3 sts, HDC, DC, TR 2 sts, DC 3 sts
- Repeat rd 16: two (2) more times, place 2DC +ch 1 in beginning ch sp, sl st to top of ch 3 to jn rd, tie off
- In corner ch sp attach C5, ch 2, HDC in same st, HDC next 8 sts, HDC next 3 sts over the ch 3 into the back loops of the 3 skipped sts from previous rd, HDC 8 sts,
- In corner ch sp- 2HDC+ch 1+ 2HDC, HDC 8 sts, HDC next 3 sts over the ch 3 into the 3 skipped sts from previous rd, HDC 8 sts
- Repeat rd 19: two (2) more times, 2HDC+ ch 1 in beginning ch sp, sl st to top of ch 2 to jn rd, tie off, (92 sts)
- In corner sp attach C1 using a standing SC, SC 23 sts, SC+ch1+SC in corner, SC 23 sts, SC+ch1+SC in corner, SC 23 sts, SC+ch1+SC in corner, SC 23 sts, SC in beginning corner sp, ch1, sl st to first SC to jn rd, ch 2 (100 sts)
- *[HDC, ch 1, skip 1 st] X 11, HDC next 2 sts, in corner sp- HDC+ch1+HDC, HDC* repeat *to* 2 more times, [HDC, ch1, skip 1 st] X11,HDC 2 sts, HDC+ch 1+HDC in beginning corner sp, sl st to top of ch 2 to jn rd, tie off (64 sts, 44 open ch sps not including the corners, 108 sts total)
- In corner sp, attach C2, ch 2, *HDC 2 sts,[HDC, HDC over ch sp into skipped st from previous rd] X 11, HDC 3 sts, HDC+ch1+HDC in corner sp*, repeat *to* 2 more times, HDC 2 sts, [HDC, HDC over ch sp into skipped st from previous rd] X 11, HDC 3 sts, HDC+ch 1 in beginning corner sp, sl st to top of ch 2 to jn, tie off (116 sts)
- In corner sp, attach C3 using a standing SC, *SC 29 sts, SC+ch 1+ SC in corner sp*, repeat *to* 2 more times, SC 29 sts, SC + ch 1 in beginning corner sp, sl st to first SC to jn rd, tie off (124 sts)
- In corner sp, attach C5, ch 3, DC in same st, Dc 31 sts, 2DC+ch 1+2DC, DC 31 sts, 2DC+ ch 1+2DC, DC 31 sts, 2DC+ ch 1+ 2DC, DC 31 sts, 2DC+ch 1 in beginning corner sp, sl st to top of ch 3 to jn rd, tie off (140 sts)
- In corner sp, attach C4, ch 2, HDC 35 sts, HDC+ch1+HDC in corner sp, HDC 35 sts, HDC+ch1+HDC in corner sp, HDC 35 sts, HDC+ch 1+HDC in corner sp, HDC 35 sts, HDC+ch 1 in beginning corner sp, sl st to ch 2 to jn rd, tie off (148 sts)
- In corner sp, attach C1, ch 2, HDC 37 sts, HDC+ch1+HDC in corner sp, HDC 37 sts, HDC+ch1+HDC in corner sp, HDC 37 sts, HDC+ch 1+HDC in corner sp, HDC 37 sts, HDC+ch 1 in beginning corner sp, sl st to ch 2 to jn rd, tie off (156 sts)
- Weave in all ends
This should go without saying, but please do not pass my hard work off as your own. This was created with a lot of frogging and a lot of love. I would appreciate if you would post a link to my page for pattern credit if you make this item to sell.
A lot of work goes into trial and error to create these patterns for others to enjoy.
Please do not redistribute this pattern or pictures contained within this pattern without written consent from designer, me.
Feel free to send me an email or message me on Facebook with any questions, comments, suggestions, concerns.
Stop by my Facebook page and give it a like to get exclusive coupons and offers or to share your finished product! I love seeing my designs recreated by others!!!